Mysore is a warm city, right from its weather to its people and even the colour of most buildings – a faint yellow. The city is the second-largest city in Karnataka is full of its heritage and culture. Once the seat of the kings of Mysore, the heritage city or city of palaces is now a world-famous tourist destination. Another
The days of the Raj are long gone, and the city of Mysuru has made many leaps in technological and business advancement. But it still retains the old-world charm of the bygone days and appears to be a sleepy town. Life proceeds at a more uneventful pace here in this city of gorgeous palaces, old temples, monuments and antique tradition and culture. The rulers of the Wadiyar dynasty left their mark on the city of Mysore in the form of several gorgeous palaces. No visitor should leave the city without seeing these attractive palaces in Mysore.
Here are some of the incredible palaces in Mysore –
Mysore Palace – Amba Vilas Palace
‘Amba Vilas Palace’ is one of the oldest and most iconic palaces in Mysore which was built in 1912 by the twenty-fourth Wodeyar Raja. The palace is now among the most famous tourist attractions in India which manages to attract 6 million tourists every year. This was originally built in the fifth century but since then it has been demolished, reconstructed and renovated several times. The palace is a three-story structure that was constructed in the Indo-Saracenic style with blends of Hindu, Mughal, Rajput and Gothic styles of architecture.
While steeping into this palace will make your jaw drop due to its intricate designs on tall columns and detailed roof artwork on the ceiling. The grey granite layout features captivating, deep pink marble domes, turrets, comprehensive arches and a 145-foot five-story tower with a gold-plated dome. The best time to visit is during Dasara and also the villa looks amazing if you visit at night.
The Jaganmohan Palace is the 19th-century Hindu-style palace which is one of the seven palaces of this royal city. This palace was built when a fire broke out and destroyed the old Mysore palace and served as the residence of the royal family when the new palace was being constructed. Currently, the palace has been repurposed into an art gallery known as ‘Jayachamarajendra Art Gallery. This gallery is considered as one of the best art galleries in the South which displays artworks and artefacts which belonged to the Wadiyars. Apart from that, all the massive doors of the palace are one of the main attractions as the cravings on the doors depicts ‘Dashavatara’.
This 1911 mansion was built for princess Cheluvajammanni who was the third daughter of Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV. This mansion is on the Mysore-Krishnaraja Sagar Road which is in the northwest part of the city. The building is spread over a large area and surrounded by beautifully landscaped gardens and currently, it is home to the Central Food Technological Research Institute. But the general public is not allowed to the Central Food Technological Research Institute.
The Chittaranjan Palace
The palace was built in 1916 by the Maharaja of Mysore which was originally built for one of the princesses of the Wadiyar dynasty. Later it was sold to the Mysorean family who converted it into the famous Premier Studios, the headquarters of a film company. Many movies and Television shows have been shot in this studio but later it was shut down after a fire broke out. Later it was converted to a heritage hotel and was renovated and furnished using traditional Indian crafts and offered comfortable surroundings. It has around 31 rooms on solar energy and no air conditioning or television is available inside. Enormous gardens, with traditional lawns and stained veranda, and bounded by splendid trees, the hotel is a Shangri-la.
The Rajendra Vilas Palace
The palace is on the top of Chamundi Hills which was used as a summer palace by the Wondeyar kings. As it is placed at around 1000 feet, it gives a great view of the city below. The palace was constructed in 1920 but a smaller structure existed at the location since 1822. Maharaja Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV authorised the construction in the place where he was once instructed in philosophy and English. In 1938-1939, the construction of the palace was completed. Post-Indian independence, it was transformed into an extravagant hotel by the reigning king, Srikanta Datta Narasimharaja Wodeyar.
Further, the hotel has around 25 suites in Indo-Saracenic style with blends of Rajasthani architecture but it was closed due to labour problems in the 1980s. After that in 2004, the renovation began but unfortunately, it was not completed. Currently, the palace fibs in a state of dilapidation.
Built-in 1905 by Maharaja Chamaraja Wodeyar for his eldest daughter, Princess Jayalakshmi Ammani. Initially, the palace was known as the First Rajkumari Mansion. It’s set on a vast estate on a hillock, west of Kukkarahalli Kere (lake) and it’s now part of the University of Mysore. It was acquired by the University to establish Manasagangotri, the postgraduate centre on the campus.
Later the Vilas was renovated from 2002 to 2006 with an amount of 1.17 crores which was donated by the Infosys Foundation. The renovated mansion is spread across six acres and has 125 rooms, 300 windows and 287 exquisitely carved doors. The mansion currently houses three museums which are archaeology, folklore and general museums that display priceless artefacts.