Among the recipes that have recently gone viral on social media, one of the most popular ones is “vegan chicken”. It doesn’t have a milligram of meat in it and it’s made of flour and other ingredients. In this post, we will tell you more about vegan chicken, seitan and two lip smacking recipes for you to try. Let’s get started.
Vegan Chicken: All You Need to Know
How did vegan chicken become a trend?
If you have been infected by Tik Tok fever, you have surely seen in your “For you”, people trying vegan “chicken”, which is added to other viral recipes such as nature’s cereal, Tik Tok pasta made with feta cheese or chocolate bombs. In case you are not familiar with the world of Tik Tok, vegan “chicken” is a preparation that consists of a flour dough that is rinsed until leaving only the protein of wheat or gluten, something that is not new, but it is known by the name of seitan. We will find out how it’s made.
Does vegan chicken have enough protein?
Vegan chicken or seitan contains protein of plant origin. According to vegan sites, in 100 grams of seitan, you can find 24 grams of protein, making it a good option for vegans.
However, it is important to remember that plant proteins are not of high biological value, which means that they do not provide us with the essential amino acids we need, although that does not imply that they are bad.
Nutritionists have explained that the best thing in these cases is to combine foods such as legumes with cereals, in this way you get proteins of high biological value, such as those of foods of animal origin.
On average, we need 50 grams of protein a day, although every one’s body is different. Therefore, if you choose to follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, it is best to consult with a nutritionist to ensure that you meet your daily needs.
Is vegan chicken gluten free?
No, it is very important that if you suffer from celiac disease or gluten intolerance, do not consume vegan “chicken” or other recipes with seitan, since it is obtained from gluten, so it could harm you.
How to make vegan chicken?
What is called vegan “chicken” on the internet had its origin in China hundreds of years ago and has the name of seitan, a product made with the vegetable protein of wheat or wheat gluten, characterized by a similar texture to meat, which has earned it the name of “vegetable meat”.
Preparing it is simple, but it takes time. If you want to try this recipe, you need:
- 500 g of wheat flour
- 500 ml of water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix the flour with the salt in a bowl.
- Add the water little by little and knead until you get a manageable dough. Knead for 8-10 more minutes and form into a ball.
- Place it in a container and let it rest for 1 hour, covered with plastic kitchenware.
- After that, fill the bowl with water to cover the dough and knead it under the water. When the water turns white, throw it out and repeat. This step must be done over and over again until the water is almost transparent, in this way you remove the starch and an elastic mass will remain.
- Place the seitan on a strainer and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- Season with your favorite spices: garlic powder, pepper, paprika, oregano … Knead so that the seitan is filled with the seasonings. Let stand another hour.
- Roll the dough into a strip and twist it like a screw. Tie it off by taking both ends.
- In a hot pan, add a little oil and seal the seitan on both sides as you would a chicken breast or steak, so that each side is golden brown.
- Add vegetable broth to cover 2 fingers of the pan (approx.) And cook for 45 minutes.
- Cut it into pieces and crumble.
Yes, of course, it is not chicken, but it is an alternative for those people who do not eat meat, although it is also a good opportunity to try new things. Don’t you fancy it? Try it in some preparations that would have chicken and you may think differently.
Delicious vegan chicken recipes
Eating it fresh out of the pan is not the only option. Seitan is as versatile as chicken or meat. The proof is in these recipes:
Vegan fried chicken
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons of wheat flour
- 1 cup of corn flakes for breading or breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon of white wine
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika or paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the seitan into medium pieces (like a piece of chicken).
- Mix 2 tablespoons of the wheat flour with the cornstarch, wine, and water until it is an egg-like consistency (or you can use other substitutes, such as flaxseed ).
- Mix the rest of the flour with the pepper, garlic, onion, paprika and salt in another plate.
- Pass the seitan through the flour, then through the “egg” and finally through the ground bread; fry until crisp. 100 grams of vegan chicken should be enough for two people.
Bittersweet vegan chicken
- 250 g of vegan chicken/seitan
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 slices of pineapple
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of rice (or apple) vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Three quarter tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Quarter cup of water
- Dice the seitan, bell pepper and pineapple; slice the garlic into slices or finely chop, depending on your preference.
- Brown the seitan with a little oil in a pan, add the pepper, garlic and pineapple. You should saute for 7 to 8 minutes before adding the sauce.
- For the sauce, mix the soy + vinegar + ketchup + sugar + cornstarch + water and beat with a fork to undo the knots. Pour into the pan and wait for it to reduce. Serve with rice.
So that was a lot of info on vegan chicken, if you are interested, do try it out.